Furthering its commitment to providing service to the southeastern region of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, EKU has created the Center for Appalachian Regional Engagement and Stewardship (CARES) by consolidating several regional-stewardship programs into a single, integrated unit. These programs include:
- Appalachian Studies minor
- Environmental Sustainability and Stewardship minor
- Kentucky Institute for Public Governance
- Office of Regional Stewardship
- Prism: A Journal of Regional Engagement
- Regional Outreach Agent (ROA) Program
The goal of this reorganization is to improve EKU's relationship with and service to the Appalachian region of Kentucky and the university's 22-county area of geographic responsibility.